Sunday, May 23, 2010

Making some Birthday memories this May!!!


Just a recap of this last weekend, which was a whirlwind of fun. Thursday, I got home from my 4 day trip, just in time for the kids annual end of the year pool party at the Cocoa Beach pool. Friday was the last day of school, but more importantly, it was Dylan’s graduation. He looked like a young gentleman, all donned in a blazer and tie. He has done so much maturing in the last 6 months, and eating the Miracle Gro has certainly made him sprout up like a little man. He is soooooo ready to get himself into 7th grade. He has been selected for the Middle Years Program at Cocoa Beach Junior High, which is a lead in to the International Baccularate Program at the High school. It is quite an honor, and he was recommended by his teachers, and supported by his grades to attend.

Friday after school, Ryan’s friends joined him after school to start his birthday celebration. The first order of business was for the annual shaving cream battle, which Rebecca has established as a new tradition. Next, those 9 and 10 year old boys played in the pool, canal, and jumped off the boat house into the canal, gleefully enjoying the get together for Ryan, as well as their new found “summer freedom” That evening, we took the group to Bizzaro’s Pizza in Satellite Beach followed by the movie Iron Man II. After the movie, the group was pretty pooped, and that lent itself to the harmony of the evening’s sleep over.

Saturday, many more of Ryan’s friends showed up as did the GIANT water slide was delivered. All of the day’s activities were again water related, to include boat house jumps in the canal, the pool, and the GIANT slide. Ryan really enjoyed his party, and the time with his friends. He is such a happy kid.

The next two hours, we prepared for the next party. It was a party for all of our family members who were born in May: Ryan, Rebecca, Christina, Ally, and the ever absent Ed. We were also joined by many of our friends, lending itself to a major fiesta. The party continued all afternoon, and everyone enjoyed themselves from CZers to CBers.

I was able to get to bed at a fairly decent time, and woke up early Sunday for a biathlon in Melbourne. Man, it was a hot day, and I had some mechanical difficulties which created a frustrating athletic event. This bikearathon was a 20 mile bike ride, followed by a 10K (6.2 mi.) run. Prior to the race, I checked my cyclometer, since I was trying to target a 20 mi/hr. pace. Of course, when I started, the computer was on the blink. At mile 13, I had a flat tire, and tried quickly to replace the tube, roadside. When I got the new tube in, I was unable to get the tube pumped up, and suspected my pump was faulty. However, another kind athlete lent me her CO2 pump system, and it inflated the tube, and then it quickly deflated. I then realized my 2nd, spare tube had a leak. I almost threw in the towel at this point, however, I took the 2nd tube out, and was able to isolate the leak, which I then patched, and continued on my not so merry way.

By this time the sun was a sweltering, May mid morning mass of UV heat generation, my woeful 10k time reflected such. It was not so much fun, and luckily (or unluckily) I will have 2 more triathlons in the next 4 weeks, which may suffice as some form of redemption from today’s tortuous athletic existence.

No comments: