Wednesday, February 26, 2020

SE Asia home leg!

2/22-23

Our last day of the trip in Thailand was a pretty mellow one with not much going on.  We had to check out of the hotel at noon, so I did get in a quick workout, as well as the nice breakfast provided by the Akara on the 16th floor.  

Kurt and I wandered around the corner to a local market selling the usual souvenir trinkets and curios, and I impulsively bought a fake Rolex.  I had buyers remorse, but it looks good, and seems to keep semi accurate time (for now).  My big ticket item for our wait was having my tux delivered at 2.  Since we had already checked out of our room, we sat around in the lobby for awhile,  Kurt, Tim and Mark did go out for lunch.  

At 2 sharp, the guy from Peninsula Tailors showed up.  The 3 pilot shirts fit perfectly, and the pants and coat were also a good fit.  However, there was a small “dimple” in the silk lapel which looked not quite right.  The courier delivery guy from the shop ran that back and had it fixed in about an hour.  Pretty amazing service since that tux and shirt were fitted only a day prior. Barely 24 hours for fitting, refitting, delivery and correction.  

We set off for the BKK airport at about 5.  About that time we learned that there were 2 airports in Bangkok.  In fact, we had flown into the secondary airport arriving from Siem Reap, and were flying out of BKK, totally different.  Due to the confusion we had getting to the kickboxing stadium a couple of nights earlier due to cab communication difficulties we checked and rechecked with our driver that we were in fact going to the correct airport.

Right after checking in and leaving the checked baggage, I feel a tap on my shoulder and turn to see my old neighbor Jeff Hoary, and his Thai wife, Poi.  Very wild for both of us, and he was on our Emirates flight to Dubai, and then he was flying to MCO and we to FLL.  I told Kurt that I was firing my travel agent on that knowledge.  It was nice to catch up with Jeff.  

Two flights home, and it is time.  Ready to be home. First flight 8 hours BKK to Dubai on an A380.  Had some “ass hat” sitting behind me that would kick my chair upon reclining, requiring flight attendant intervention.  I was really  pissed. 

Second flight 16 whopping hours.  Longest time ever on an aircraft.  Dozing in and out without any real “sustained” sleep, but not doing so bad.  Rebecca’s homeopathic jet lag pills must be doing the trick.  We’ll see how the drive from FLL to Cocoa Beach goes.  
  
I got a chance to rap with the Nigerian FO whose traveling with his family for the 56 hour layover in Fll.  


The Captain just made the announcement that we are over the Bahamas and will soon be starting our descent.  What a great trip, albeit a little long at the end, hanging with some great guys, Kurt, Tim, Mark and Mark and Rick. 4 countries, 17 days, multiple destinations, and great experiences.  Now its (almost) back to reality.      



No comments: